Sunday, October 18, 2009

I just want to break down these walls...

Last week I started tutoring at two middle schools. At the first school, the 8th graders are very polite and eager to learn...this class is almost mostly white and the black students are quiet yet still polite. The students are the second school are very different. They're loud, rude, and so grammatically incorrect that I want to tie them down and read a book to them (since they probably aren't capable of reading on their own). Of course this group of future baby mamas and drug dealers is mostly black children. After spending an hour with them, I convinced myself that it's not their fault that they're so misguided and they're merely a product of their environment and BET. I wanted to give the delinquents a chance to prove me wrong and show that they're more than a bunch of pants sagging, slang talking adolescents. I asked them what their future goals were and the responses didn't shock me at all. None of these children wanted to contribute to society at all. Oh no, they want to to basketball players, rappers, and video models. Only three kids, out of twenty-seven, said a doctor, lawyer, and veterinarian. This baffles me. Why African Americans think it's okay to settle for these hood dreams? It's a shame that even in the year of a black president we still limit ourselves to merely entertaining others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lmao you had me rolling when your mom was like you can help them and you went off talking bout only juvenile detention can help them

Unknown said...

that's really sad and it's not their fault. unfortunately, the problem runs very deep, and it makes me sad and angry to think of why. i want to have hope for people like this, but it's so had to. but if me and you don't, then they have no one! i really HATE how BET is nothing but poison these days. it's turning black entertainment synonymous to "trash" and ruining society... ugh! so much anger. deep breaths, deep breaths. we must all keep hope and continue working.